Friday, May 31, 2013

Recipe :: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Around here, we are big fans of chicken tortilla soup. But, I am a bit of a snob about it. I don't care for the "fancy" chicken tortilla soups. I like the deli, and bar and grill version of a creamy, spicy, chicken tortilla soup.


 With the weather last weekend being all cold and rainy, I decided to make something in the crock pot. Tony requested Chicken Tortilla Soup. Well, I had never made it before, and none of my cookbooks had the recipe I wanted to try. Each one was more tomato based, or didn't look very good. 


So I googled around a bit, and still had no luck. So what did I do? I winged it. Avery and I went off to the grocery store, and I grabbed what I thought would be good, and if it sucked, we would go to THE SPORTS PAGE for dinner, where we could have the soup with our sandwiches. Unfortunately for them, but great for us, the soup turned out really good. A bit spicy {Tony said his eyeballs were sweating}, but exactly what I was looking for.


Ingredients:


1 can Cream of Chicken soup
2 cans Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup
1 can Original Rotel
1 container of chicken broth {32 oz}
1 cup Pace Picante {medium}

I cooked the chicken prior to putting it into the soup mix in the crock pot. I just didn't trust it to get cooked through if I didn't cook it prior.


14 ounces of chicken breast cooked in 1/2 of a lime {fresh juice}, and seasoned with cumin and cayenne pepper to taste. 

Mix all ingredients and simmer in crock pot on low for 3-4 hours. 


you can also enlist your child to use the lil' dipper crock pot for her "soup". She loved making her soup, and she loves helping out in the kitchen.


We served ours with the Rhodes Texas dinner rolls. By far the best dinner rolls in all the land. You can see them under the black/white dish towel rising in the chicken picture above. 


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment