Friday, September 5, 2014

DIY curtains for an arch window - more details








 I pinned this picture of Gavin's room to Pinterest a while back, and to my surprise, it has been re-pinned several hundred times.


Because of that, I have gotten some email requests to show how I made them. It started out as a similar idea, but evolved as I walked the aisles of JoAnn Fabrics and a light bulb went off in my head. 

Originally, I had planned to put tabs on the back of the curtains and hang hooks from the arch so that I could hang them as they fit the arch. But as I strolled, I noticed that the tape to make roman shades already had rings attached in 10-12" increments, and that I could just sew that on the back of my curtains for it to hand from. It was already made and pretty cheap to buy.


So that is what we did. We had made a template of the arch, so that we could cut the fabric as close as we could to the shape. 


Then, because I am a designer and love driving my mother nuts, decided that I wanted them pleated. To look as professional as possible, but with us doing the work with discounted fabric. It's how I roll...


So we pinned the fabric into pleats and then we applied the template so that we could cut our shape and begin to hem. There may have been several curse words spoken. We also made the error of deciding to apply the black out lining after we had it cut, and pleated. DON'T DO THIS! Add your lining before you put in the pleats and sew. You can't really tell from the front, but I can sort of see it from the front yard looking up to the window, and it bugs me every time. 

I bought small white hooks to install into the wood frame of the window. I started with 1 ring in the center of the top and went down each side. 


I measured how far the rings were on my roman shade tape and used that for the distance between the rings.


Another tip that I learned the hard way is to make sure you measure how far the rings hang down so that you can place the roman shade tape accordingly on the curtain. The picture below will show that I failed to do that, and there is a gap between the arch trim and the curtains, letting in more light that I had anticipated.


Overall, we have been very happy with them. We installed inexpensive curtain hooks to keep them open should we want more light in the room, and they work great.






1 comment: