Monday, June 27, 2016

Our Kids' New Playfort {Using the hidden space under the stairs}

When we finished our basement, I had told the drywallers not to bother with this area, as it would only be storage. They didn't listen to me and finished it out anyways. Then I told the carpet installers not to bother with putting carpet in there, but Tony overruled me when they came to measure. He knew the kids would love playing in here, more than I would love the storage. I don't need to keep that much stuff anyways. 




I did a little project on Saturday night that has been on my mind a while. The twin mattress in back of the nook kind of kicked it up to the top of my ever-evolving list of items to do around the house. 

We ordered a daybed with trundle for the lower level guest room to provide sleeping options for our family and friends when they stay over. The mattress we ordered for the trundle was defective. It had a very lumpy portion to it. I contacted Amazon to return it and as usual, their customer service was outstanding. Since it was next to impossible to re-package the mattress as it came, they told us to either donate or dispose of it and they issued a complete refund. So I went ahead and ordered another mattress for the trundle. 

So we were left with a defective twin sized mattress. So we decided to put it under the stairs for a kids reading/play area. 


This is what the area has looked like for months. When I was cleaning it out, I found an alarming amount of forgotton cheetos. #MomFail


Still messy. The area goes around that corner and has a small table and chairs hidden back there. 


I had a credit on my Amazon account, so after buying Chrissy Teigen's cookbook, I decided to buy some puck lights for this space. I wanted the kids to be able to use it at all times, and Gavin is currently obsessed with closing doors. All doors. 


I placed the larger light on the wall to shine toward the back of the space, and used 2 of the smaller disc lights on the ceiling of the shorter flat area. 




 Gavin and I also had a short adventure to Target on Saturday night {my goodness, that was the best time to go! No crowds, wait, and lots of time to peruse the Dollar Spot with no one else jostling their cart at you.}

 We found some of these Dr. Seuss posters. I had had a few of them from my cousin last summer and I bought 2 more to hang in the play fort. 




Here you can see the twin mattress tucked back in the corner. It just fit and I covered it with an inexpensive fitted sheet from Wal Mart. I wanted a pattern to help hide those cheetos fingerprints I am sure will be happening again. 


 I cleaned out the wicker basket and sorted through the toys. We have a tent and tunnel packed up in there along with the larger pieces of Gavin's matchbox car race tracks. We also picked up a few stacking boxes to keep the toys organized. I am loving Target's new Pillowfort line for kids. It is so on trend and not too pricey. 



The dry erase board was also a Target Dollar Spot find. I love that I never caved and bought the $30 Pottery Barn version...this was $3, and I like the light blue border better. 


The kids both loved it when we showed them on Sunday. Avery even took her nap in here on Sunday. The defective mattress didn't bother a 40 pound 5 year old, so I think we will keep it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment