Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Working Mom Lessons

After 6 years as a full time working mom, here are a few lessons I've learned. 


  • I will never get up as early as I need to. Every Sunday night, I think to myself that this will be the week that I turn it around, and every week I fail. Edit- I'm 2 for 2 on getting up and walking in the mornings before getting the kids up. It's working so far!

  • I need to schedule that "Ooops" time better. That 10 minutes I needed to clean up a potty accident overnight, and strip the bed. That 10 minutes that was better spent snuggling still sleepy kids, rather than getting right down to breakfast. Something always comes up. Always. 

  • I should get up earlier and get myself completely ready before waking the kids, so I can focus on them and getting them ready without the added stress of making myself presentable for work. It never happens. 

  • Having a dinner menu and plan thought out for each weeknight is a life saver. The food is thawed, the ingredients are in the pantry, and there is no wondering what can be thrown together for dinner. It's just right into dinner making mode. The weekly grocery shopping has been a good decision. 


  • I always feel like I am failing at something. Working over spending time with the kids, staying home with a sick kid, but then missing work and falling behind. Don't even get me started on my non-social life. It's not non-existent, but it's not exactly thriving either.
  • I really, really love my job, and really, really, really, love being a mother. It's just hard sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. Accepting that and moving on saves my sanity.

  • Long commutes suck, but it is also needed decompression time. It's also the time I talk to my mom several times a week.
  • I am incredibly thankful for a job that allows me to be flexible. This would not be possible without it. Flexibility is key for a working mom. It just is. 

Danielle









No comments:

Post a Comment